Saturday, June 19, 2010

~ Angel Hairband ~


A week with no sleep or waking up early with this weather is going to make anyone crazy. So after my second week in a row of bad sleeping, I decided to tire myself out (at 3 in the morning), with some rummaging in my yarn drawer and left over extras........ the result is the Angel hairband :) (I'm quite proud actually.)

There are a number of things you are going to need before you start this:


  • waste yarn or whatever you want your band colour to be
  • a pattern you like (I'll post mine on here)
  • elastic band or old hairband you want to cover
  • needles (I used 3.5 mm)
  • Needles for sewing or if your lucky to have it fabric glue
So to make the band, you measure the circumference of your head mine is 19 inches (aren't you all glad you know that). so is the length you want it to be. next choose a width, I choose 2 inches. Now check the pattern you want against your measurements and see if they are compatible or swap needles till they are. The pattern I used is as follows:

  1. I cast on 21 stitches (5 stitches to allow me to wrap over my elastic band and 16 stitches for my pattern). For your stitches here count your pattern and how wide your band is and use plain stitches for the width of your band.
  2. For the first 5 stitches on either side, I knit or purl depending on if its the rs or ws. The rest follow the pattern below which was on a really really old and badly photocopied school jumper pattern, but I like it.
  3. When its long enough cast off with a long tail. 
  4. Block (if a lace pattern is used).
  5. Now wrap the  plain knitted stitches around the elastic and seem up on the wrong side, being careful not to sew into the band just the knitted piece.  If using a hairband just fold over those stitches until you can slide your band though.
  6. Sew the elastic together, followed by the knittned piece to form a round. TA!!!!!DA!!! your done :)
Pattern: 
(16 sts and 15 row repeat)

1st row (rs): k5, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k5.

2nd and every alternative row: Purl.

3rd row: k3, K2 tog, yo, k1, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k4. 

5th row: k2, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k3.

7th row: k1, k2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k2. 

9th row: K2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k1.

11th row: K2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, yo, k2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k2tog.

13th row: K3. yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, k2.

15th row: K4, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2, yo, sl1, k1, k2tog, yo, k3.  

enjoy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment